Advanced Grading Method: Marking Guide
An example of Marking guide criteria used in Assignment activity
This guide shows you how to create a Marking guide criteria in Assignment activity.
What to know:
The Marking guide feature affords a teacher the ability to provide grades and feedback in an alternative manner to simple grading.
Table of Contents
- Step 1: Turn on editing mode in your module area/course
- Step 2: Click ’Add an activity or resource ’
- Step 3: Choose the Assignment activity
- Step 4: Provide a name for your activity
- Step 5: The checklist function
- Step 6: Selecting the grading form
- Step 7: Naming your checklist
- Step 7: Defining your Marking guide
- Step 8: Saving the marking guide
Step 1: Turn on editing mode in your module area/course
Click the ’Turn editing on’ button displayed near the upper right of the module area/course.
Step 2: Click ’Add an activity or resource ’
- When editing mode is turned on, navigate to the section where you want to add the assignment activity.
- Next, click the ’Add an activity or resource’ button displayed at the bottom of the section.
Step 3: Choose the Assignment activity
From the pop-up activity chooser window, locate and select The Assignment activity, then click the ’Add’ button.
Step 4: Provide a name for your activity
Now you come to the assignment creation page.
- Please complete 'assignment name' and 'description'.
- Then click 'save and return to module' at the bottom of the page to save the settings
Step 5: The marking guide function
You’ll now go to the settings area. Within the this area scroll down to the ‘Grade’ section, then from the ‘Grading Method’ drop-down menu please choose 'Marking guide', then 'Save changes'.
Step 6: Selecting the grading form
Now you are taken to a screen where you can choose the grading method either by using a template or creating a grading form from scratch. Alternatively, you have the option of even changing the grading method.
Step 7: Naming your Marking Guide
You will have to name your Marking Guide, much in the same manner as you named the Assignment activity initially.
Step 7: Defining your Marking Guide
- Provide a name for the Marking Guide Criteria.
- Provide description for the Students and Markers (optional).
- Provide the Maximum score.
- Add additional criteria.
- Add frequently used comments.
Step 8: Saving the marking guide
Once you have completed your marking guide go down to the 'marking guide options', decide which ones are applicable for you needs, and then save the Marking guide.
Step 9: Using the marking guide criteria
Here is an example of the marking guide